Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tough Weekend for CSL racers at Gateway Cup

The Gateway Cup is the World Series of STL racing every year, four races on consecutive days. 90 guys in the Cat 4 races, squeezing into the STL streets. Unfortunately, this year has been rough for the CSL guys who race. Marc had someone take him down on the last lap on Friday night, ended up virtually destroying his bike (he can save the seatpost and stem, cassette, that's about it). The tires blew as he tried to hold it, saw sparks coming from the rims as they ground along the pavement. He got thrown pretty hard into a concrete light pole but hit it square so only a bit sore. His racing was done for the weekend, though.

I went down yesterday, about 100 yards from the finish at Washington Ave. The guy in front of me went down hard, directly in front of me, I smashed head-on into his back as he fell and went flying over the the handlebars, him, and probably ten feet of pavement. Checked my bike computer, said I was going 32.4 mph at the time. My right shoulder took the brunt of it, then the helmet, and somehow my left ribs. Fortunately, the x-rays didn't find any breaks. Hopefully they're just really bad bruises. The bike wasn't so lucky, I've never seen a fork break the way this one did, and the front wheel is destroyed. Thanks to Marc (who was there watching) and Lauren for getting me and my family home.

All in all, it could have been worse for both of us. The frustrating thing is that you can't really control stuff like this. Someone makes a mistake front of you or next to you, and you're down. Hopefully it won't be too long before we're back out on group rides. BTW, this is why we ALWAYS wear helmets, racing or non-racing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you guys came out ok! (Sorry about the bikes)
No kidding about the helmets, though - you can't account for other people's actions that might wind you up on the pavement.

You guys are great! Keep up the postings, I wish I could make it down for the Century.

- Matt Peters